The development of part-time education began in 1942 when engineers started to be trained on the evening basis. Since then more than 12000 specialists have been trained by the faculty.
The Faculty of Extramural Education was established in 1962 for training specialists in machinery, construction and chemical technologies; the application plan was 150 students. Since then about 10000 specialists in 27 specialties have been trained.
Today there are 14 specialties with the application plan of 150 students for budget education and 170 students for non-budget education. There are 1600 students at the faculty. They are trained by specialists from 14 special and 50 general and human studies departments – 12 professors, 170 assistant professors and candidates of sciences.
The faculty students can use the library which is the largest in Western Siberia and contains about 1,5 mln of educational literature and belles-lettres. The library has e-catalogues and an Internet room so the students can work with it in the automatic mode.
There are modern classrooms which are used for both resident and distant education form students.
In 2009 the new specialty called “Catering products technology” was opened. The specialty meets all the requirements of the Altai labour market.